Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas eve

It is the night of Christmas eve and I am sitting in a camp ground in Nairobi, It is quite cold and raining here, not what I expected for Christmas in Africa. We have one night here then off to Nakuru national park in the morning for an afternoon game drive. We spend the night at Nakuru then head into Navisha the next morning for our last night on the tour (finishing back in Nairobi).
We had a fairly yukky day today! We drove from Arusha to Nairobi, a distance of only a couple of hundred kilometres but it took 11 hours due to an unbelievable amount of roadworks! Unlike Australia, where the system is to work on a 10km stretch of road at a time, here you dig up 200kms of road, make a detour dirt track full of potholes you could hide a truck in, then go on Christmas holidays. I doubt we had over 40kms of drivable road today!
In contrast yesterday was magical! We stayed in a lovely guesthouse near Ngorongoro Crater that had big, soft beds (who can tell I'm over camping) and hot showers, all for only $30 extra (the rest stayed there in tents). We left early in the morning and headed for Ngorongoro crater.
First sight of the crater is breathtaking! It is about 20kms across with walls over 600m high (and a very steep drive in and out!). The amount of wildlife was breathtaking and I nearly developed RSI from taking photos and film!! We saw elephant, buffalo, gazelle, ostrich, wildebeest, zebra, baboons, monkeys, hyena, jackals, lions, hippo, cheetah and rhino.
Anyway, I better finish up as there is a queue for the internet here. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas tomorrow and my love to all, Kathie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathie,

    Merry Christmas to you all!! It's also raining and storming here in Dubai...not what you would expect Xmas to be like in the Uae either!!! Well it sounds like you didn't have a great day of travel yesterday, but overall your trip sounds like it has been full of many interesting adventures. I'd just love to be able to see all those animals up close...country girl at heart!!So far your trip appears to have been full of many highlights, with just a few lowlights.
    Kathie, we're flying out to KL tonight and should be back in Dubai by mid-January. We're looking forward to meeting up with you all around the 22nd/23rd January. I'll wish you a happy New Year now, as I'm not taking my computer with me, and I'm sure if I will have a chance to log on using Jodie's. Anyhow, continue having an adventure of your lifetime and will see you in January.

    Gail.

    ReplyDelete